Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Still alive, still teaching!

Just a slight change in direction.

This is my third year teaching Reading Recovery in our school.  I am .5 in the classroom and .5 reading recovery.  I am loving working 1-1 with students who struggle to learn for a variety of reasons.  Most children I have been able to help, but there are a few that have had me stumped.  I could identify the problems, but didn't have the knowledge to be specific about what I was noticing or what  to do to help.  So this year I have started a diploma in SLD (specific learning disabilities).   -more on that in the future.

This year I have moved levels.  I am now teaching year 1 students... 5 year olds!😳. What was I thinking?!?  To be fair it is still early days, (week 4) it is getting better... And I'm sure it will get even better... But what was I THINKING?

A change in level means creating a whole new lot of resources.  I am trying to create an environment that is multi-sensory to cater more widely to the learning styles of my students.  It also ties into my course.

Maths and topic (arts, science, Maori etc) are my classroom subjects.  My offsider teaches all the literacy.

Here is one activity that my kids are loving.  Giant sized tens frame.  I made it out of a tarpaulin and colored tape.

My aim is to get them moving their whole bodies while learning math concepts and knowledge.


My new class blog is  Aces@Allenton. We would love you to check out all the other things we are doing




1 comment: